RE: Sort of off topic. . .puzzles

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sort of off topic. . .puzzles
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:01:05 -0800
Mike Lee wrote :

> I don't think that works; you're making the assumption that the
> "hoop" of string
> burns evenly, and we're told that it doesn't.  One end might burn
> up in a minute,
> while the other takes 29 minutes...

It works, even if the hoop burns unevenly.  If (for example), one half takes
29 minutes to burn and the other half takes 1 minute, lighting both ends at
once would mean after 1 minute, the fast half is completely gone while the
slow half is 1/29 gone (28/29 remaining).  Now the slow half is burning at
both ends, so it will take exactly 14 more minutes to finish burning.

///
///