Re: R: Home Powder Coating

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>
Subject: Re: R: Home Powder Coating
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:18:57 -0500
Ron:

I hope it's not too late to weigh in with another powder coating comment.

I bought the Eastwood system and have had great success with it.  I managed to
obtain surplus powder coatings from a distributor for a fraction of the
Eastwood price, in a variety of blends.  (http://www.surpluscoatings.com).

For an oven, since space was an issue, I sought and obtained a built-in type
wall oven.  After all, I didn't need the top burners and such.  It ended up
still taking a bit of room, because wall mount ovens seem to have thicker walls
for insulation purposes.  But this also means that the cellar stays cooler,
less affected by the residual heat.

Capacity is compromised a little, because this oven was a little smaller than
most free-standing units, but it's big enough for a 16" wheel.

The price was right: free because the electronic controls wouldn't work.  A new
control transformer ($4) solved the problem.  The digital readout is a nice
touch, too, and it has timers built in for auto shut off, etc.

I have seen many stoves available for very little or free.

And finally, I have my oven running on a 30a dryer circuit instead of a 50a
stove circuit.  Since I'm only using the oven, it's plenty of current.