Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)

To: derek.lola@home.com
Subject: Re: Building Types (was - shop/slab questions)
From: "Richard Boyce" <rboyce90@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:23:58 -0700
When I said finished outside what I meant is the exterior is all vinyl
siding. Mine was built slightly different than the one another list member
sent pictures of.His used what is known as purlins and girts to which he
attached metal siding and roofing. Mine does not use purlins and girts. The
roof uses conventional trusses which are then sheeted and then a traditional
shingle roof was applied. My walls use conventional stick framing in between
the poles, which by the way are 6x6 pressure treated timbers. The outside is
then sheeted conventionally, like a normal hose and then tar paper and vinyl
siding was applied. With this method of construction the poles(posts) are
carrying all the load, so the infill stick framing is non loadbearing. It is
just there to hold the sheeting. This also makes insulating the walls very
easy also, it is just like a conventional stick framed building. The
insulation just goes between the studs.The exterior can then be finished off
in any manner you choose. I chose vinyl siding, but it could also be stucco
or brick or?????????????
The wood posts could very easily be replaced with steel tubing with base
plates and a receiver for the header, which could be wood or also steel.
Look at small commercial building projects to see examples of this kind of
construction.The greatest saving with this style of construction is the lack
of a perimeter footing and foundation which in my area is 32 in deep and
would require it to be 24 in wide and then have a stem wall on top of that.
Adds up to a lot of concrete at 60.00 plus dollars a yard.
Richard