engine lathe?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: engine lathe?
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 20:26:00 -0500 (EST)
what the hedoublehockeystick is an engine lathe, and why do I want one
cheap?

saw an ad for one for ~$1000, which it says is 'lots less than retail'.
I'd like a lathe at home, and this one is 16*40, so it's pretty big, so I
guess it *should* be expensive.  somebody wanna fill me in before I go see
it.  what I know as a lathe is what we have at work: two huge, well,
lathes, probably 4-foot travel at least on both, but I've always heard
them called 'lathes'.  what's the 'engine' part?

scott