Re: Gasket and Gasket-less Sealers - Summary

To: derek.lola@home.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket and Gasket-less Sealers - Summary
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:32:57 -0800
> nobody seems to use gasket adhesive

False. For exhaust manifolds, I use copperkote or some variant
thereof.  Also use this in turbo assembly. I don't like RTV in this
application.

There's a specific application on the ALFA Spica-injected engines (and,
apparently, a similar one on VW engines) where is important to have a
*very* high tack adhesive to hold a cover plate in place while the
bolts are inserted (on the Spica, it covers the small separate oil
filter for the injection pump).  For this I use a product that I no
longer can name, but is colloquially known as "virgin's blood" for it's
distinctive color. It may just be called "high tack".

For authentic installation of paper or cork gaskets, I will use
Aviation Permatex. I used to use Wellseal, but I think this stuff is
lots better.

In general, though, I am more and more fond of "The Right Stuff".  Most
especially for valve covers!