Re: Gasket and Gasket-less Sealers - Summary

To: Rex Burkheimer <rex@txol.net>
Subject: Re: Gasket and Gasket-less Sealers - Summary
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:11:41 -0800
On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 10:58:22AM -0600, Rex Burkheimer wrote:

> Adhesives: I still use a few others:
>
> 3M weatherstrip for low-temp permanent seal, i.e. gasket to valve cover (but
> not to head).
> Permatex #2 - the brown stuff, non-hardening. Still the best for
> semi-permanent water joints, as water pumps and outlets.
> Permatex 99 aerosol red contact adhesive - best use is by the local track
> team, who spray it on the vaulting poles for grip.

My favorite is Yamabond #4.  It's a non-hardening sealant.  It works
by itself, or as a gasket cement.   I started using it when I was
into british bikes, and managed to have one of the few '71 Bonnivilles
(built in the worker's collective/strike era) which didn't leak
oil.

The only disadvantage is that it doesn't work in the presence of oil, so
you have to get things very clean before you assemble them.

--
  Eric Murray           Consulting Security Architect         SecureDesign LLC
  http://www.securedesignllc.com                            PGP keyid:E03F65E5