Tire lifespan

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tire lifespan
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 12:38:22 -0400
I have a set of Michelin 165-14 XZXs on my MGB. The tires have
been on the car about 8 1/2 years and 40k miles.  They still
have plenty of tread on them and minimal evidence of dry rot
or cracking on the side walls.  I have kept the car garaged
so exposure to sunlight (UV radiation) is limited to the
time that the car is parked outside while I am at work.
The DOT codes on the tires indicate that they were manufactured
in 1990.

So my question is, should I replace these tires for safety reasons
because of their age?

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1980 MGB