Re: Breaking concrete

To: epetrevich@relavis.com
Subject: Re: Breaking concrete
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:28:39 -0700
>On the one end the door is about 2 feet off the ground level.  I wanted to
>make a ramp to come up to the door level.
>The problem is that the concrete wall has about a 3" lip above the floor.
>This makes the door opening about 2" too small.
>I wanted to remove this lip.  Can I do this with a mortar chisel?  Should I
>use a jack hammer (I never have used one before)
>What can I do to knock down this lip without destroying the wall?  Thanks.

We had this problem when we had a man-door (whatever they called it; a side
door into the garage) put in.  What we did was use a masonry saw blade on
a circular saw, set the correct depth, and make a lot of closely spaced
cuts through the opening (perpendicular to plane of door).  Then used a chisel
to clean it up, and poured a little new concrete to level it off.

Mike