Re: Bandsaw problem solution

To: George P Dausch IV <gpd4@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Bandsaw problem solution
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:48:23 -0700
On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 09:11:21AM -0400, George P Dausch IV wrote:

> Eric,
> I never release tension.  Don't think that was it.
>
> As you probably know, the blade is made in thousand plus feet coils, cut
> to length, then welded into a circle.  Bigger band saws have the welder
> built in and we buy straight coils, fit to the machine, weld ends
> together, then tension.  One possibility is that yours was welded out of
> plane, the other is that you caught and jammed it on material, which will
> sometimes cause the same problem.

I'll look at it, but I don't think that the bends are where
the weld is.  The weld on that blade wasn't noticeable like
on the replacement, where I can hear it going over the wheels
and the saw frame dips when it goes past the work, as though
the blade is a little thinner (front to back) there.   But it
sure could have been welded out of plane.

> Either way, for what they cost, trash it, keep a spare, and move on.
>
> You might want to check the MSC site or catalog to look at other types
> and teeth spacing if you do much cutting.

Are the blades with variable numbers of teeth (i.e. 10-14)
significantly better than regular blades?

--
  Eric Murray http://www.lne.com/ericm  ericm at lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5
                     Consulting Security Architect