hot safe

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: hot safe
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:53:25 -0700
Hi,

I was considering the purchase of a fireproof safe, but I find that most of the
more reasonably priced
ones have inadequate fire ratings (a lot of them gloat about a 1/2 hour rating,
but I found that the
average fire in my area burns at heat for 45 minutes, at a temperature higher
than a lot of them are
rated for).

It was suggested that one could simply purchase one of these safes and add
additional lining to
increase their fire rating.

I was wondering if there are any "safe gurus" out there who might have some
input on doing
such a thing.  I've seen a lot of safe sites online, but there doesn't seem to
be much out there
on safe construction - does anybody have any good pointers to information on
this topic?

As an aside, somebody pointed out that my concerns about a potential thief
using my plasma
cutter or torch to get into the safe can be greatly reduced by putting the
plasma cutter consumables
and cutting torch tips in the safe....

Thanks in advance,

rkg