Re: vapor-barrier paint

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: vapor-barrier paint
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:16:51 -0600

Phil Ethier wrote:

> I bought some paint tonight for the ceilings in the house.  It is a primer
> billed as a vapor barrier.  It is the only thing I found at Home Depot that
> said "VAPOR BARRIER" on the can.

It probably has to be cleaned up with denatured alcohol because it has
some sort of rubberized pigment in it that cures in air. A look at the
ingredients on the can would be a help to everyone in determining its
properties.

> I am wondering if there is something else I could use.  See, this stuff
> needs denatured alcohol for cleanup.  Is there any vapor-barrier paint which
> uses water for cleanup?

I truly don't know of any. Even so, it's got to be better than no vapor
barrier at all.

> The reason I wanted this stuff is that my wife wants to do a repaint of the
> entire interior, complete with frufru sponge treatments.  As if there is
> anything wrong with the semi-gloss white with which I painted the shop.

Painting the interior of the shop reminds me of a thread (which I
unfortunately grabbed and ran with <g>) on the old brit_car FIDO echo
between myself and a guy from the St. Louis area on how to properly
paint and decorate a garage, and it sort of turned into the idea of
putting the outside of his Mini on the inside of the garage.... I was
eventually accused of sniffing too much Imron before sitting down to
answer the mail. <smile>

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter