Electronics Expert Needed

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronics Expert Needed
From: dcvjrv@flashcom.net
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 14:51:10 -0400
Hi Folks,

I need some troubleshooting help on an electronic project that I built
about a dozen years ago.  I built an electronic sensor that turns my dust
collector on and off whenever I turn on one of my woodworking pieces of
equipment (table saw, planer, jointer, etc.).  This has worked fine until a
while ago.  Now I have to manually start and stop the collector with a
by-pass switch.  When I looked at the sensor it had blown the fuse (250
volt, 2 amp) and also one of the resistors (3.3k, 2 watt).  I replaced the
fuse and the resistor.  When I started one of my machines the dust
collector did not start so I immediately turned off the machine.  The fuse
was not blown but the resistor was to hot to touch.  I think had I left the
machine on longer the resistor would have blown and then the fuse would
have followed suit.

So, after all of that I need help in finding out what could be causing
this.  This sensor has 2 transistors, some capacitors, several resistors, 4
diodes, rectifier, relay, potentiometer, and a fuse.  I have 3 jpegs that I
can send to anyone that would like to give me a hand in this.  They cover
the complete article along with schematic and parts list.

Also, how do you check a transistor to see if it is good.  Does it have to
be out of the circuit.

Thanks for any and all help,
Jim V.