Re: welders...?

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: welders...?
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 23:04:06 -0600

Scott Hall wrote:

> thanks to all for the replies.  next question: is $400 a good deal for a
> new hobart handler?  I'm just wanting it for stuff at home, car stuff,
> etc.  I'd kinda like to avios using the one at school if possible...
>
> thanks.
>
> scott
>
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000 jmark.vanscoter@amd.com wrote:
>
> > Sounds like something I said a while back.
> >
> > Hobart was fairly recently bought by ITW (Illinois Tool works) who also owns
> > Miller.
> >
> > Now Hobarts are repackaged Millers, still very good, but not unique.
> >
> > They are also positioning the Hobart brand to be the brand sold in
> > non-welding supply stores.

I'm a little chagrined to hear that Hobart has been sold (didn't know it
until the above post). Hobart was, basically, for many years, a family
business with a solid reputation in the industry. They also had the
distinction, for several decades, of running schools for metals artists
during the summer. Certainly, there were some promotional aspects of
doing so, but no other welder manufacturer was doing that sort of thing.

I suspect this sale is fairly recent, and would like to think that
Hobart quality has not plummeted precipitously since the sale, and that
many of the items with the Hobart name were originally engineered by
Hobart, and not by Miller or ITW. Unfortunately, I have no way of
knowing for certain if that is the case.

But, previous history considered, Hobart was a tough and reliable brand.
Don't know if that helps you in your decision.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM