Re: Tile Shop Floors?

To: sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Subject: Re: Tile Shop Floors?
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:54:20 -0400
I would think the in-floor heating would work quite well, even under
vinyl tile.  The heaters should not heat the floor to the point where
the vinyl tile is stressed, or it would be hot enough for your feet to
feel the pain also.  Just MHO.

But I agree that glazed white ceramic tile would _not_ be a good idea.
Too brittle, slick if the surface or your feet get wet or oily.  There
might be some commercial kitchen tile (you won't find it at a building
materials supermarket) that would safely stand up to garage activities
and oopses, but expect to pay through the nose.

Donald.  (and keep us posted)

> Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 01:14:54 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
>

> On Mon, 29 May 2000, Kai M. Radicke wrote:
>
> > Has anyone done this?
>
> no, but I want to as well...just as soon as I get the stuff put away from
> the move...
>
> > Would an industrial tile be suitable or strong enough?  I'd probably go with
> > a glossy white finish, for maximum light reflection - and I think it will
> > look very nice.  With the baked finishes, they should be VERY difficult to
> > stain.  And depending on the quality and grade (and the price) I'd imagine
> > that you can some pretty tough tiles that will last a long time without
> > chipping or cracking.
>
> I dunno about actual ceramic tile...  I originally wanted to go this route
> as well, but after looking a lot at home depot and lowes, I couldn't find
> a tile that I thought would hold up to me dropping a 1/2" ratchet or 1
> 1/2" open end wrench onto it from the side of a car.  I even looked at two
> tile speciality shops and got the same "what are you talking about?  we do
> _houses_ here..." (more or less) response.  I guess a monster mexican

[snip]

> anyhow, I decided to go with vinyl square tiles (like you see on that

[snip]

> are $.47/sq. ft.  the only drawbacks are: I thought with the ceramic tile
> I might try an in floor electric heating grid for winters (new house, no
> gas for the old heater setup...).  can't really do that with vinyl tiles.

[SNIP]