RE: Tile Shop Floors?

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tile Shop Floors?
From: "Mitchell, Douglas (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 07:37:32 -0400
Kai wrote:

> As for grout (spelling?), I have seen installations that use
> a thin piece of
> brushed aluminum to cover the joint lines... with no gap
> between tile and
> the aluminum channel (which is flush with the tiles also).
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net
> 1966 MGB -- 1974 Triumph TR-6
> http://www.pil.net/~felix (pix soon)

Kai,

I have to agree with someone else about the ceramic tile. I don't
know how well it will stand up to dropped tools or jack stands/floor
jacks.

The flooring you are thinking of with the aluminum strips instead of
grout is probably terrazo. It is actually poured in place. Most of the
building that I work in has this on the main floor. It would work very
well, but I don't think it is affordable for a garage floor. They used
this on a recent This Old House project, and I seem to remember that it
was very labor intensive.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell