Sanding discs/wire wheels

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sanding discs/wire wheels
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 13:45:15 -0700
I plan to purchase a Milwaukee 7/9" sander/grinder this week to
tackle a variety of projects around the shop/house.

A major project will be sanding down a "rough" 1975 Ford E-150
for filling/ painting.  The truck spent the first five years of
its life in Michigan, so it has a good deal of rust that needs to
be taken down and repaired.

My question is what grit sanding discs should I purchase for this
type of project?  I will need to sand down/remove most of the
paint and some bondo that already is there.

I also am looking at wire wheels that might work better for all
the recesses, channels, drip edges, etc., that a van has.

I would appreciate any advice on what grit discs and what wire
wheels I should consider for a large-scale restoration project
like this one.

thanks in advance,

doug