Help for vintage car

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Help for vintage car
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:43:13 -0600
Please forgive me if this is the wrong list for this question, and if
so, please direct me to the proper place.

I work on vintage race cars, and they are usually either nearly perfect
or nearly disasters, either of which is easily diagnosed. I have a
question
regarding a car that is neither -- it is somewhere inbetween, and maybe
somone can give me some helpful advice.

A friend has a 1950 Riley that received a ground-up restoration 15 years
ago.
It has been driven about 500 miles a year since. It runs okay but leaves
a continuous trail of blue smoke from the tailpipe. I'm trying to help
my friend
determine what is wrong and what needs to be done.

Here's what I've checked so far:

Timing and carburetor mixture are proper.
Compression readings are 120 on all four cylinders
Leakdown is about 15% on all cylinders.
When accelerated, and then throttle closed, smoke does not increase when

throttle is closed, usually indicating that valve guides are okay.

Questions: Would the leakdown rate indicate enough ring wear to cause
the smoke? With the low mileage the car has been driven, it would seem
unlikely but
possible. If the cause is carbon buildup because of the low and slow
useage, is there something I can pour through it that might clean it up?

Thanks in advance.
--

TR6 -- Spring!
TR4 -- Sprang