Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?

To: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Subject: Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:51:21 -0800
On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 08:37:40PM -0800, Douglas Shook wrote:

> Steven Trovato wrote:
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > I think you are saying that the fiberglass is located on the angled
> > underside of the roof, rather on the flat top of the sheetrock.
>
> Steve,
>
> Once I look at it again, I think you are right -- they must have
> stapled the fiberglass to the rafters, for some reason that is
> not clear to me.
>
> I also think you are right about peg board not being a sufficient
> material for flooring.  From how I read this post the first time,
> I thought he had exposed batts between the attic floor joists and
> he was just stacking boxes, or whatever, straddling the joists.
> I was just suggesting that peg board could be used in this
> situation to contain the fiberglass.
>
> As I read it again,though, it sounds like maybe there is a floor
> in the attic, and they insulated the rafters, in which case, if
> the batts between the rafters have kraft backing facing the
> interior of the attic, he should be able to get away with nailing
> up most any material to contain the fiberglass.  If he uses
> plastic (I'm almost certain that exposed plastic used in this
> manner will violate some fire code), that too would serve as a
> vapor barrier.

I have the same exact setup, only I stapled the kraft paper
part of the bats to the rafters myself.  I left the bats
as they were.  Eventualy I'll tack up some fiberboard.

I don't have a problem with fibreglass coming loose from the bats
when I'm up there moving boxes around, and there's no 'glass
dust (that wasn't put there when I was installing the bats
that is).  But then 'glass doesn't bother me much, so if you're
sensitive your results may vary.

--
 Eric Murray www.lne.com/~ericm  ericm at the site lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5