Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?

To: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Covering fiberglass insulation in attic?
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:07:28 -0500
Mike,

I think you are saying that the fiberglass is located on the angled
underside of the roof, rather on the flat top of the sheetrock.  If this is
true, then I think Doug misunderstood you.  In my part of the country (NY)
this would be a rather unusual arrangement, as the fiberglass would usually
be located right above the sheetrock to enclose the room in a warm
envelope, and leave the attic cold and usually vented to the outside, to
prevent ice dams.  If the fiberglass is above, I would agree that the
plastic should be OK.  If the fiberglass is below, the vapor barrier should
be on the sheetrock side of the insulation.  If it isn't there, I wouldn't
worry about it, but if it is, I don't think it would be a good idea to
sandwich the insulation between vapor barriers.  I don't know how necessary
this plastic is, though, in that the fiberglass usually doesn't rain down
if it's not disturbed.  You're not going to be spending a lot of time up
there.  It's going to be a pretty dusty nasty place in any event.  Just
cover the stuff you're storing, if you want to protect it.  I throw on a
dust mask when I'm going up in my attic, if I'm going to be moving stuff
around and making clouds.  You probably want to put down some plywood
sheets or something to make a floor.  If you're walking around up on the
ceiling joists, one wrong step and...  well, it isn't pretty.  I used OSB
that I cut into 2' by 8' sections.  That was the only way to get them
through my attic stair opening.  I screwed them down so I could lift them
easily to run wiring, or whatever else I didn't think of in advance.  I
wouldn't go with the pegboard idea...  It isn't strong enough to support
much weight as a floor.

-Steve Trovato
trovato@computer.net