Re: parts washer build or buy

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: parts washer build or buy
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:34:00 -0800
Eric Murray wrote:

> The other advantage of a purpose-built unit is that it will
> have a close-fitting lid with a thermal catch- the idea is
> that if the lid's propped open and the solvent catches fire, the
> thermal catch will release and the lid will close.
>
> Modern solvents aren't as flammable as they were in the bad old days
> (nor as carcinogenic!) but the good ones still will burn.
> Having seen pics of people's shop fires, I'd want to spend the
> extra $100 or whatever to get a purpose-built unit.  [1]
>
> Northern Hydraulic has a whole bunch of different models, even
> the biggest is like $250.

Eric and list,

I think Eric provided some very good insight here.  I bought an
R&D unit from NH a year or so ago (the 280 gallon/hr, 30 gallon
drum mount unit), and am very glad I did not try to build it.

It has the fusible link, a tight fitting lid (prevents
evaporation of the solvent), has all the switches, drains,
screens, pipes, flow-through brush, etc.  I don't know that I
could make the same thing for the price of the parts, plus it is
ready to use.  (I would spend a week trying to build it instead
of using it).

The R&D unit I bought from NH (part no 159460-c145) has a very
high quality Cal Pump (it is intended for continuous operation in
pond environments) that is almost too powerful (you need to be
careful where you point it). This would be a good candidate for
the in-line oil filter modification.

It has a sturdy lid that I covered with some rubber mat that
makes a very nice clean work bench.

After having used the tub type and the drum type washers, the
drum types are the best for engine tear downs and similar
mechanical work as you can set an engine in the washer, tear it
down and wash it down as needed (hard to find all those nuts,
bolts and small parts in the tub type). With the drum type, you
also do not breath as many fumes (solvent stays in the tank), and
you do not have your hands soaking in the stuff.  If you need to
do some serious washing, just turn it on, close the lid and leave
it alone.

I would stay away from the cheaper units -- many of them appear
to have the same low quality, imported, 50 gal/hr pumps that last
a week.

good luck,

doug
(the super agitene advocate)