Re: parts washer build or buy

To: Chris Crisenbery <ffajackson@absolute-net.com>
Subject: Re: parts washer build or buy
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 09:36:16 -0800
On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 12:09:31AM -0500, Chris Crisenbery wrote:

> Time to buy a parts washer !
>
> >From earlier threads I have latched onto the idea to plumb an oil filter
> into my parts washer so that I get good filtration. The question is do I
> buy a premade washer and figure out how to do this or build from
> scratch.
>
> >From scratch -- Im thinking of buying a utility sink from lowes which is
> deep and sturdy, a pump from enco and a wash wand from enco. I have a
> barrel (new) left over of cleaning solvent from safety kleen and figured
> I would put the barrel next to the sink, put the pump in the barrel run
> a line up to a morroso auxiliary mounted oil filter on the sink and then
> to the wand. The drain from the sink could go back into the barrel.
>
> What do you think, any improvements?
>
> A commercial unit -- I would come off the pump to the filter then to the
> wand. I'm a little concerned about the pump quality and ability to run
> through a filter and being able to put large items into the washer in
> terms of stability.

The other advantage of a purpose-built unit is that it will
have a close-fitting lid with a thermal catch- the idea is
that if the lid's propped open and the solvent catches fire, the
thermal catch will release and the lid will close.

Modern solvents aren't as flammable as they were in the bad old days
(nor as carcinogenic!) but the good ones still will burn.
Having seen pics of people's shop fires, I'd want to spend the
extra $100 or whatever to get a purpose-built unit.  [1]

Northern Hydraulic has a whole bunch of different models, even
the biggest is like $250.

[but on the other hand, I store gas cans in my garage.  when I
build my shop, I'll add an outside gas storage shed]

--
 Eric Murray www.lne.com/~ericm  ericm at the site lne.com  PGP keyid:E03F65E5