Re: Tap and Die set

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tap and Die set
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@vol.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 09:18:50 -0500
I bought 2 el cheapo sets (standard and metric) from Harbor Freight on a
special they had. I told a friend who is a machinist what I'd done and he
said they'll work fine for home shop use. He suggested that if I use one to
the point that it won't work, go buy a good replacement. It'll be obvious
that it's being used by the fact it's worn out.

I've found them to be good enough for the occasional thread chasing job or
creating something special. Price, on a special was about $20 for each set.
I know some will say you get what you pay for, but if you seldom use them,
there's no point in buying machinist grade stuff. If you use them a lot
(read almost daily), buy the good stuff.

Tom Shirley Sale Creek, TN
99 Mazda Miata (Bad Dog Racing)
78 Triumph Spitfire (for sale)
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/