Re: The Ideal shop

To: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The Ideal shop
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 17:09:32 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Saturday, December 25, 1999 1:53 PM

> >Skylights are wonderful.
>
> Spoken like a true Californian.
>
>Well, OK. In areas where ice dams are a problem, consider clerestory
windows
>instead. The point is that you want to get as much (free) natural light
>into the shop are as possible. This used to be the standard for
>lighting the factory floor...

Sure, when heat was cheap and lighting expensive.  :-)

I don't spend every minute in the shop, so I don't have to see in there all
the time, but I keep the temp up to 50 degrees F 24 hours a day.

I realize that my shop is not ideal  I only have an 8-foot ceiling.  But the
construction was fairly easy and I was able to use what was there.  If I had
to build the entire structure from scratch, it would have been 22x45 instead
of 20x50.  I could afford to do what I did by using the existing 20x22
garage as a starting point.

And of course the nights are longer here than there.  In the summer, though,
our days are longer.