RE: Results of Auto Transport Trailer Saga

To: "'Ronald Olds'" <tr6@pipeline.com>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Results of Auto Transport Trailer Saga
From: John Steczkowski <stecz@crossroads.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:29:49 -0600
The other thing I've noticed is that sometimes, auto transporters can be
hard to find. I believe that U-haul is the only game in town, since Ryder
won't rent a trailer without renting you a truck. I rented one to tow my MGB
from Portland, OR to Austin, TX. Be careful, because the reservation states
that they can have the trailer available within a 72 hour period and still
be meeting the reservation. What I realized, is that they give you 10 days
to get from Portland to Austin, and I know I was only going to need 3 days,
so I just said I needed the trailer on Tuesday instead of Friday (when I was
leaving). I got the trailer on Tuesday and it sat in front of the house
until Friday, I returned it the next Tuesday with plenty of time to spare.
But, that gave me leeway in case they were late, I would still get the
trailer in time.

Also, I inspected the trailer carefully to make sure the tires were good and
I even loaded the car on the trailer and towed it a little before I left to
make sure that I could live with the trailer for 3 days of towing. I didn't
want to get stuck with a trailer that shook if I exceeded 45mph or something
evil like that. As it turned out, my Suburban towed it fine at extra-legal
speeds and the trailer worked great.

----
John Steczkowski
Director, Server I/O