Morse/Jacobs taper care

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Morse/Jacobs taper care
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:22:57 -0500 (EST)

What's the proper care and feeding of a Morse or Jacobs
taper connection?  I've always been amazed that these
things stick at all, and frustrated when they don't.

I have a small benchtop drill press with a Jacobs 33
chuck.  It's old and cheap, but has generally worked
well.  This weekend a task I shouldn't have done (drilling
the center of a washer to a larger size) resulted in
chattering which loosened the taper.  Wheee!  Pure
excitement as the chuck and bit go flying through the
air.  (Then anger at myself when I put it back and
let it happen a second time.)

So what's the tip to make them properly stick?  I think
you're supposed to use a light oil film, but I'm not
sure.  I felt like using a light film of SuperGlue! <g>

How did this "technology" come about in the first place?

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com