Re: 6 Vs 12 points

To: "Art Pfenninger" <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>,
Subject: Re: 6 Vs 12 points
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:14:16 -0600
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@freenet.buffalo.edu>

>a 12 point
>will ruin the nut before it breaks

Nonsense.  I have broken many 12-point-sockets in my time.  If what you say
were true, it would be impossible to break a 12-point socket.

Sometimes the 12-point socket ruins the nut.  Sometimes the 12-point socket
breaks.

When I am working on an old car, I always am happiest when confronted with a
nut-bolt where I can reach one end with a 6-point box wrench and one end
with an impact six-point on my 18-inch breaker bar.  Then I know that
ruining the hexes is not an issue.  The fastener will either unscrew or
break.  In either case, I'm happy.

What gives me the sweats is a bolt threaded into the car in a place
difficult to reach.  I think most of us have exercised our vocabularies in
that situation.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
LOON, MAC
pethier@isd.net     http://www.visi.com/mac/