Re: remote car starters

To: Eric J Petrevich/LRM <inch@megageek.com>,
Subject: Re: remote car starters
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:48:24 -0800
> I see in the new Northern catalog that they have "remote car starters" for
> sale ($70)   I was wondering, can you use these on diesels?  I've got a
> diesel car and they LOVED to be warmed up a ton.  Something like this could
> help alot.  Thanks for the help.  It says for "fuel-injected vehicles" with
> auto trannies.  I've got auto, but does a diesel count as "fuel injected?"
>
> FWIW, the "technicians" on the phone were clueless.

The remote system depends on the fuel injection to enrich the mixture for
starting. Carbureted systems need the driver to pump the throttle to engage the
choke. The remotes also require automatic transmission, so it can't be started
in gear.

If your diesel can be started by simply turning the key briefly (no pre-heat,
no press of the accelerator), you may be able to start remotely. I doubt if the
manufacturer (of car *or* device) would sanction it.

- Bill Rabel
  Wet Spot Garage/ Seattle