wood burning stoves

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: wood burning stoves
From: Eric J Petrevich/LRM<inch@megageek.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 20:12:15 -0500
NOTE:  I know its a real "no-no" but I've been using it for year and it
works well.

With that said,  I've got a very big garage (nicknamed The Garage M'hal)
that allows me to use a wood burning stove inside of it.  (the floor is
pitched and the stoves fire is about 2 feet off the ground.)  Also, I use
it mostly for a wood shop, I don't do mechanical work with the fireplace
lit.  Also, I don't need the heat that often (2 or 3 times a year tops so
other types of stoves would be a waste)

Anyway, I want to get rid of the current stove (about the size of a
refrigerator) and replace it with a smaller stove that I got for free.  My
questions, can I put the stove on a pedisal?  I wanted to to this so I can
build a set of shelves under the fire place to make better use of the
space.  Does anyone know what I would have to put between the stove and the
shelves to make it safe?  The stove is the small ones in Harbor Freight
"Cast Iron Box Stove" part #172891.  It's not real heavy.
Thanks for the help

Inch
inch@megageek.com