Re: 220v compressor wiring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 220v compressor wiring
From: McVintage@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:57:17 EDT
In a message dated 99-10-25 22:44:03 EDT, shook@usc.edu writes:

<< 220 VAC is rather straightforward.  There are two "hot" wires.
 Just put your meter across your leads, and you should see
 220VAC.  You also will have a ground (usually a green), and if
 you  meter it, you will see 120VAC from the hot wires to the
 ground. >>

This is  what I thought -  answers were unanimous - I just wanted
some confirmation since the manual was no help ("...wiring...should
be done by a licensed electrician") BTW the leads read 240v.
Thanks to everyone who responded.
What I should have asked was " whats the best way to cut a 4 1/4 "
hole in a concrete block wall for the blast cabinet vaccum exhaust"
- the hole I have now is pretty ugly. oh well.
Cheers
sweeping up concrete and broken drill bits in PA
Jack Mc

P.S. I had already figured out where the ground wire went. thanks.