Re: 220v compressor wiring

To: McVintage@aol.com
Subject: Re: 220v compressor wiring
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:40:14 -0700
McVintage@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings fellow shop dwellers
>
> I have a new compressor (DeVilbiss L6560V - 6 1/2 hp, single phase)
> The 2 terminals for power connection are labeled L1 and L2.
> Whats the the difference and how does this relate to the red
> wire and the black wire in my 220 volt circuit ?
> i.e. which one goes where ?
>
> Thanks
> Jack Mc
> running wire and hanging pipe in PA

Hi Jack,

220 VAC is rather straightforward.  There are two "hot" wires.
Just put your meter across your leads, and you should see
220VAC.  You also will have a ground (usually a green), and if
you  meter it, you will see 120VAC from the hot wires to the
ground.

AC is AC, so it doesn't matter which hot goes where. If you
weren't around during the "air pipe wars," you might want to take
a look at the TIP Tools web page for info on piping.

Have fun, and good luck.

regards,

doug shook
--