Re: shop press

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shop press
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 01:20:18 -0500

> On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 09:41:55AM -0400, cw26@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> > I want to buy a press.  Any ideas on what to look for?

I want a press too but I don't really need one very often . . . I'll
probably keeping "leaning" on buddies for serious work and continue using a
$20 HF 1000# arbor press for most little bushing-type work.   I've been
amazed at what I can do with just the "clamping force" of a good fine-thread
bolt.   I've changed out some "tough" suspension bushings just using an air
wrench, various washers and spacers and a steel plate with lots of drilled
holes.  The biggest help is having a little lathe handy to quickly make
"pushers" and spacers.
You can get over 20,000 pounds of clamping force from a good 1/2" fine
thread bolt.

Tony