Re: shop press

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shop press
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:49:36 -0500
On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 09:41:55AM -0400, cw26@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:
> I want to buy a press.  Any ideas on what to look for?

My only advice:  DON'T buy the 6-ton HF press.  I bought it, just got
done with a wheel-bearing ordeal.  The thing is too narrow to support
the steering knuckle from my SAAB with the bearing properly centered.
I managed to do it, but it wasn't really safe or sane.  Also, the
6-ton output appears marginal.  I'm selling mine, now.  At a loss.

When will I learn?  I should have just paid the local shop to do it
and saved my pennies for a better tool.  When I get back from my
vacation (in November), I'll be looking for a better press.  But I'll
probably look for some huge, old 1950s behemoth that weighs a zillion
tons.  The electric/pneumatic one they have at a local machine shop
sure works slick.
--
Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Bloomington, Indiana