Re: HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:38:57 -0500
Update.

I went out the next day, earplugs in place, and attacked one race with
fiberglass reinforced cutting discs in my dremel.  I had the local
classic rock station cranked up such that it sounded reasonable over
the dremel and through the earplugs.  The neighbors surely wondered
why I was playing "Fat Bottom Girls" at 150dB in my garage.  "And
George, look at those sparks flying in there!"

Slow work.  I finally broke through a portion of the race.  Got
impatient and decided to press again.  Crank.  Crank.  POP.  Hey!?
Alright.

Now I'm feeling like the Mighty Master Mechanic, so I put the other
knuckle in the press.  Crank.  Crank. POP.  Huh!?

Well, they came free.  I had cranked on that press like the dickens
before and had nothing but sweat to show.  Maybe it was the barometric
pressure.  I don't know.  But thanks for the advice, everyone.

Upon inspecting the knuckles, there was neither rust nor loctite, just
a little greasey schmutz.  I cleaned them up with some mineral spirits
and #800 crocus cloth and now they SHINE.
--
Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Bloomington, Indiana