HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP freeing stuck wheel bearing
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:28:14 -0500
Sorry for the off-topic post, but some of the brightest shop hands I
know are on this list.  I have already posted to several appropriate
SAAB lists.

I'm trying to something pretty mundane.  Replace front wheel bearings
in an '89 SAAB 900 turbo.  The bearing is held in the knuckle by 2
circlips.  Both removed.  The bearings have fallen apart so that only
the outer race is left, stuck in the knuckle.

I am trying to press the bearing out with a 6-ton shop press.

It is possible the bearings were loctited in place with green or red
loctite.  It's sometimes done to minimize clunking when backing up in
this car.

I have tried baking the knuckle/bearing assembly at 300degF for 1
hour.  I have tried penetrants.  I tried to hacksaw the outer race but
of course the steel is super hardened.  No effect, no budge on
ANYTHING.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  The bearings have been in
there -- max -- 10 years.  Any suggestions?
--
Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Bloomington, Indiana