putting clear coat on Al wheels

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: putting clear coat on Al wheels
From: cw26@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:55:17 -0400
Okay - I've finished stripping the color and clear coat off of my aluminum
wheels.  Any thoughts on applying clear coat?  Last night I tried some Rustoleum
clear.  It looked okay on the cast parts of the wheel, but on the polished parts
- not so good.  It looks like it might be difficult to get a nice smooth layer
of paint on the polished surfaces.

Anybody have any luck with clear paint out of an aerosol can?  Or do I need to
buy some from the paint supply shop and shoot it with a gun?

A recent Hot Rod magazine article said to apply urethane reduced by 30% and then
fog the wheels with the gun set at a high pressure.

Thanks for any info,
Chas.