Re: The standard 'Lincoln jack" question.

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>
Subject: Re: The standard 'Lincoln jack" question.
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 21:47:36 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:
> My 27 year old Sears floor jack died, and I need to replace it.
> The '98 archives suggest the Lincoln 2 Ton Model # W93642
> as being a "best buy". The prices I've seen on the web suggest
> about $300.
>
> Sears, Northern Hydraulics, Mills Fleet Farm, etc. have a Lincoln
> "USA 2000", or other obscure/unavailable model number for
> about $199.
>
> Would anyone care to enumerate the differences are between
> the W93642 and the "hundred dollar cheaper" version?

I have read that Lincoln is moving all of their jack production from the US
to Taiwan.  Perhaps the jack you saw is one of those.  I can tell you that I
love my 93642 - it's a _stout_ jack.

I haven't heard anything good or bad about the Taiwanese-made Lincolns, but I
think folks are taking a wait and see attitude.

One place to get what seems like good info on these sorts of jacks is at
http://www.hyjacks.com (they also have the Lincoln 93642 for $299).

BTW, I think that Harbor Freight still has the 93642 for $299 too.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting