Re: floors(sorry)

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: floors(sorry)
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 08:57:46 -0700

Fred Zampa wrote:

>  dear list:
>            the responces to my requert for the cheapest source for epoxy
> floor paint yielded two sources : griot's garage
> @$58/gal. and home depot @$20/gal.   actually both of these are cheap
> compared to the pool paint i saw @$90/gal.
>
>            of course, i would like to go with the $20 stuff.
> this paint is a water based, single-part epoxy. i have used a  two-part
> water based epoxy and found it to be fine.  i have serious reservations,
> however, as to whether a one part paint can
> be a "real" epoxy.
>          has anyone out there had any experience with
> this stuff  ??
>                  fred zampa,   macon , ga.

 I recently used the Behr 1-part epoxy garage floor paint from Home Depot
($20/gal) and it has proven to be a waste of time and money.  After
fastidiously washing the floors with industrial degreaser and my engine
cleaner attachment for the air compressor (old concrete) and two coats of
muriatic acid to etch it, the paint is stating to pop off in large pieces
(three to four inch patches) less than two months after painting it.  I only
park motorcycles on it, no hot tires, etc.  Wheeling around my floor jack
even has scraped off the paint.

The only thing I could think that I did not do correctly was to use a power
washer to remove all traces of chalk/dust after the acid treatment -- I did
wash it thoroughly with a hose and a brush, but I did not power wash it.
Maybe some dust/chalk remained on the surface of the concrete and that
prohibited the paint from adhering to the concrete. I don't know.

I spent the better part of two weekends doing this and am very frustrated
and disappointed in the results.  I would not recommend using the 1-part
epoxy product by Behr.

doug (with the peeling floor)