Re: Alignment of old Atlas or Sears tablesaw....

To: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Subject: Re: Alignment of old Atlas or Sears tablesaw....
From: Skip Montanaro <skip@mojam.com>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 16:54:53 -0400 (EDT)

    Gerald> I am looking for somebody out there that is familiar with the
    Gerald> way you "true" the blade to the table. The saws (both were made
    Gerald> by Atlas and are identical except for name) in question are very
    Gerald> heavy cast items made in the post WW II era. The tables have
    Gerald> four positioning pins in the base and thus, do not adjust like
    Gerald> most modern table saws. There must be some way the blade spindle
    Gerald> assemble can be shimmed, but I can't figure it out.

    Gerald> Does anybody know for sure....guesses won't help.

Gerald,

I still have my father's Craftsman table saw.  Amazingly enough, considering
how many times the saw and its owners have moved since it was bought (maybe
40-45 years ago), I still have the operating instructions that came with it.
(Actually, it's fairly amazing I even have the saw, I suppose.)  I'd have
replied to your request sooner, but first I had to locate the instructions.
The saw is a model number 113.29920 10-inch titling arbor bench saw.  It has
a heavy cast iron table and two cast iron extensions.  The manual has
instructions for aligning the blade.  The only question I suppose is whether
or not they'd be applicable to your saw.

If you'd like to give it a go, I can scan in the manual (eight pages) and
put them up on my web site or type in the relevant section(s) of the manual
for you.  They refer to parts in the exploded views, else I'd just go ahead
and type them in.  Let me know.

Skip Montanaro  | Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com  | Musi-Cal: http://www.musi-cal.com/
518-372-5583