Electrical Hookup

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical Hookup
From: jvanho01@tir.com
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:15:47 -0400
For any of the electricians out there.  I am in the process of changing the
outlet for my motorhome from 30 amp service to 50 amp.  I currently have #2
aluminium wire hooked up to a 30 amp breaker.  I plan on replacing the
breaker with a 50 amp breaker.  Will the wire carry this load safely?  It
is running about 100 feet.  The other question I have concerns the other
end of the wire.  The receptacle that needs to be replaced on the other end
is a four prong affair as opposed to the 3 prong for the 30 amp.  My
understanding is that the motorhome uses a split 110 volt system.  One
prong is ground, another is neutral, and the other two are hot.  I am
planning on splitting the hot wire at the outlet and running it to both of
the hot legs.  Is this correct? or do I need to run another line.  The
reason I think that this is correct is the fact that there is only one
neutral wire.  All comments and advice is welcome.

TIA
Jim V.