Engine hoist revisited.....

To: "Shop Talk NG" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine hoist revisited.....
From: "Steve Hammatt" <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 17:40:03 -0700
As a follow-up to all the feedback on the engine hoist, my bride
(of nearly 32 years!) and I took a leisurely 6 hour drive from Mount
Vernon to Federal Way (from nearly the Canadian border to below
Seattle) stopping at various stores with hoists.  To summarize, the last
stop should have been the first stop<g>.
First stop was Harbor Freight, nothing on sale, legs didn't fold and
$220-$250.
Then Price Club/Costco, legs folded, but only three caster when folded, a
bit
light duty looking and narrow width at rear casters, $199.99.
Now Tool Town, legs didn't fold but looked pretty good; salesman tried to
tell me to break it down and shove it under the bench between uses.
Probably
a valid thing to do, but not what I wanted to do.  Good price at $199.99.
Last stop was GI Joe's (NW sporting goods and auto parts store chain).  They
had the exact unit I had rented last year.  Bright yellow with white pump
handle.
Even had the same ridiculous round sleeve to store the pump handle, except
that there is enough play in the sleeve to allow the handle to fall through
onto the
floor!  But everything seemed well made (all the units were Chinese-standard
quality, some a bit better than others).  Instead of bolts, some hardened
pins were
used for easy breakdown.  Best if all, they were on sale at only $180.00.
Sale ends May 22nd.

Thanks again to everyone (and especially the hint at GI Joes, we would have
never
stopped there without the suggestion).

Steve