RE: Carbon Buildup Preventative Maintenance

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, schauss@worldnet.att.net
Subject: RE: Carbon Buildup Preventative Maintenance
From: GDonati@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:54:35 EDT
Peter-
Water injection is a very good remedy for "blasting" carbon build-up within
cylinders.  That used to be a popular add on system to prevent pinging before
the advent of knock sensors and electronic ignition.  I've heard a number of
people comment that when they removed a head for a broken head gasket that
the cylinder(s) that were adjacent to the break were very clean while the
other cylinders had the usual carbon build-up.  I've also heard you can
dribble a garden hose into the carb. while the engine is idling and this will
have a similar effect.  You shoud probably change the oil after this, however.
Greg Donati