Re: Running air tools

To: nogera@juno.com
Subject: Re: Running air tools
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 00:30:59 -0400
nogera@juno.com wrote:
> Okay folks got my 60 gal 2 stage 5 HP compressor hooked up and My sweet
> wife bought me a  retractable reel type hose unit for the ceiling.

  Nice. My smaller compressor has been everything I had
hoped, expect yours to be the same.

> 1. When using air tools do you use a regulator ? With my old 2 HP unit it
> didn't  matter much since they didn't work either way .
> 2.  If so where would you mount the regulator ?  (Not on the ceiling I
> hope)
> 3. Generally what pressure do you run air tools at ?

  Most all air tools run at 90psi. So, in most cases, you
have a regulator either as part of the unit (like my 5hp
unit) or bolted onto the unit, and you can just leave it
at 90psi.

  The only time I use a different regulator is when
painting. I have a regulator and a filter on my belt,
with a long hose to the compressor and it's regulator,
and a short hose to the gun in my hand.

  In that situation the compressor regulator still
stays at the usual 90psi and I set my hip regulator
to 40-ish or whatever the painting requires.

  About the only time I touch the regulator on
the compressor is for very stubborn bolts, my impact
wrench can take up to 120psi so I will crank it
up and have one more shot at it before I fire up
the torch.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca