Re: i.r. air imapct wrenches?

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: i.r. air imapct wrenches?
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 11:19:47 -0500
Scott Hall wrote:
> I'm rebuilding the front suspension on a '68 mustang and I need some
> advice about which air wrench to buy.  looking in the horbor freight
> catalog, I see two wrenches I think might fit.  the 235 (I think) rated to
> 425 lb.-ft. and the 2131 @ 600 lb.-ft.  the first is $125 and I'd prefer
> to save the additional ~$75 of the more expensive one if I can--I'll use
> this thing infrequently.  but the hand-me-down I have now can't break
> loose the sway bar bolts.  so I'm looking for anyone who owns/uses either
> of these to tell me how they like them.  if the 235 can't cut the
> suspension work I'll buy the 2131, but if it can, well, I know I'll need
> the money for parts...

If you shop carefully you can find the 2131 for less than that.  I got
mine from Harbor Freight (like Mike) for $159.  Good deal, but it was
a short sale on their Inside Track club flier.  However, A&I Supply
has the 2131 in their latest catalog for something like $158.  Aside
from that, you shouldn't pay more than $179 for a 2131 as that's HF's
normal price.

I've actually encountered a few bolts so far that my 2131 hasn't been
able to break loose.  Two of them gave in when I turned the regulator
up to 125psi.  I still haven't properly plumbed the garage for air
line, so I believe that to be part of the problem.  The one other bolt
gave in to some heavy leaning on HF's 1/2" drive 25" long breaker bar.

Other than that, the 2131 is a great tool.  It's taken on the nickname
"Vader" with folks who have used it because of its dark plastic shell
and immense speed and power.  If it's an infrequent use, then I'm sure
you can use the 231 (I think that's the one you are also considering)
but the 2131 is a really nice tool.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap - UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:Heerschap@eng.kns.com