RE: Removing Metal Bonded to Glass

To: "'John Miller'" <johnm@ims.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Removing Metal Bonded to Glass
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:57:34 -0800
If you do apply force, I'd recommend twisting (put the adhesive in shear)
over peeling.  Peeling's a lot more likely to break the glass.  I once had
pieces of metal bonded to some sensitive pieces of enamel, and my
orthodontist clipped a little tool onto each one and twisted quickly.  It
took each brace right off with no damage to the tooth.  I've never actually
had to remove something stuck onto a car window, I'm just assuming the same
thing would work.

Solvents are unlikely to be much help since there's probably a lot of
bonding area in the middle that the solvent won't reach.

www.keithka.com