Re: removing rust from an engine

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing rust from an engine
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 22:54:32 -0600

I think we've had this thread before but there's always room for new
suggestions.   I'd like to pass along my fav for dealing with rust. . .It's
a builder's supply-type of a product stocked in the paint department called
"Rust Prime".  I've used it for 10 years on everything from antique tractors
to racecar trailers.  It's water thin and you paint or swab it on
detergent-clean areas of bare metal or descaled rusty metal.  Over night,
the dilute phosphoric acid it contains converts the oxides to phosphates
which are stable . .it also turns all ferrous metal black.   All you do then
is wipe down with a Rust Prime dampened rag, let dry and paint . . you don't
need any primer if you use a good rattle-can epoxy like Zynolyte.  This
stuff does what "Navel Jelly" was supposed to do without the mess and it is
very economical.
Tony