Re: Wood Screws

To: Geoffholmes@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Wood Screws
From: nogera@juno.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 21:56:06 -0600
Geoff
Thanks for your thoughts and experience. Yes I am rebuilding a ash timber
frame and had experienced exactly what you said.  On trial fit I used 2
#10  screws an found the joints to be weak. After stripping out a hole I
moved up to on # 12 and the joint was much stronger.  It was that
experience that raised the question. As for brass screws I avoid them in
ash since they appear  break off so easily. Luckily # 12 screws are still
available here in the US but Phillips head appear to be quickly replacing
the slot head
screws
Bob Nogueira