Re: Soldering copper pipes?

To: "Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing" <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Soldering copper pipes?
From: "Malcolm McKean" <mudshark@abandonrite.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:41:56 -0700
Hey Mike, I am no expert but once you have heated the joint and got solder
to wick into it you can make it look real nice by wiping with a damp cloth
before it cools down, this removes any excess solder and makes it look nice
and clean.  Just watch, that solder is hot and can burn.  Good luck.

----------
> From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
> To: 'shop-talk@autox.team.net'
> Subject: Soldering copper pipes?
> Date: Thursday, January 14, 1999 9:51 AM
>

> I want to add a utility sink to my garage; the wife gets cranky when I
get
> greasy stains on the doors as I try to make my way to the bathroom sink.
> I've located the water lines to the bathroom sink, and conveniently
enough,
> can pop through the wall on the other side to hook up the utility sink.
> The problem is that the only soldering I've ever done is electrical....
>
> If I understand the procedure right, I need to take some fine sandpaper
or
> steel wool to clean up both the copper fitting and pipe first.  Then
brush
> a light coat of flux onto both.  Fit the pipe and fitting together.  Heat
> with a propane torch until I can get the solder to wick into the joint.
Let