RE: Soldering copper pipes?

To: "'Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing'" <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Soldering copper pipes?
From: Ken Landaiche <ken.landaiche@dlcc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:15:32 -0800
A friend soldered up my garage's plumbing over the Christmas holiday, so
I have some over the shoulder knowledge to share.

You didn't mention the drain for the sink. Since that has to work by
gravity, its routing is more critical and must be solved first, though
not necessarily installed first.

You won't be able to bend the cut ends of the pipe to slip on a tee. Can
one end or the other be slid sideways to get the tee on? Once you solve
that mechanical puzzle, the strategy of soldering the plumbing is to get
both ends of a pipe run fitted before soldering. The tee will only go
one place. Do you want the garage sink's valve to be just straight out
of the wall from there, or routed over a bit? My friend set up quite a
bit of copper and fittings before going through them all in sequence.

Use wet or dry sandpaper and get those surfaces very clean, especially
any seams in the fittings. I have one elbow that is leaking just the
smallest weep. I'll have to remove the corner and redo it. The flux only
has to go on the pipe. It will flux the inside of the fitting.

Then you heat one side of the fitting and when it is hot enough, apply
solder to the other side of the pipe, the place furthest from the heat.
If you get it all just right, you should use one pipe diameter's worth
of solder.

Good luck!

Ken Landaiche