Beam for chain hoist

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Beam for chain hoist
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:05:49 -0800
I know, I know, we just finished talking about this, but of course I
wasn't to the point where I needed to pull some engines (hence, I did
not save the messages and for some reason I cannot access the archives
-- can anybody else do so?), but now I need to pull the engine from my
TR6.

Anyway, I plan to mount a hand chain hoist above a bay in my garage that
has a 10' span with very solid walls on either side. I cannot find in
Glover Pocket Ref the beam/span/weight size specs.  I have a hip roof on
the garage, so I could easily tie into the rafters at midpoint, but I
just put a new tile roof on and don't want to screw it up if I can avoid
it.

The questions I have are, I suppose:

What size timber or I beam do I need for a 10' span to be able to lift
say 800 lbs?

Any preferred method for attaching the hoist to the beam?

Again, I do remember seeing this on the list awhile ago, so if you would
prefer to personal email me instead of blasting the list, I'm:

shook@usc.edu

If any of you have done this previously and have some advice on pitfalls
to avoid, I certainly would appreciate that, too.

I could buy one of those floor engine hoists for ~$200, but then I need
to store it in the shop someplace, and I don't have a lot of room to
spare (a couple BSA's, a Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, the TR, the old Ford Van,
the wife's car, my daily driver, current projects, etc.). I have way too
many things sitting outside as it stands now.

Any help would be appreciated.

doug