Re: New guy on the list...

To: Fordman012@aol.com
Subject: Re: New guy on the list...
From: Chris Heerschap <Heerschap@eng.kns.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 12:36:58 -0500
Fordman012@aol.com wrote:
> I'm in the process of restoring an Austin Healey 3000 and have been using my
> sandblaster so much that my little Craftsman air compressor is about wore out.
> I am considering purchasing one of those 60 gallon Campbell Housefield
> compressors that can often be seen at Home Depot or the like for around
> 399.00.  What do you think about the performance / durability of these in
> relation to anything else out there on the market?  Any info. would be
> appreciated!

I looked at the Home Depot C-H 60 gallon when I was looking for mine,
and decided to go with the Harbor-Freight DeVilbiss 60 gallon unit:

        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf/DisplayItem.taf?ItemNumber=35373

The price is only marginally higher at $419, but without local sales tax
(6% in PA) and shipping (you still have to get the Home Depot compressor
home, and they offer rentals and such, but the HF compressor is
delivered to your door) it winds up being cheaper.  Also, the numbers
are better on the DeVilbiss unit, rated at 13/10.5 cfm at 40/90psi,
while the C-H unit is lower at something like 11/9.6 or so, so that
helped a bit as well.

After getting and installing the unit, I can't be happier.  I haven't
done any sandblasting, but it has managed to stay ahead of everything I
have, including air tools (ratchets and impact guns).  Most notably, I
was using my air gun almost constantly to clean up the garage, and the
motor came on, ran for about 30-45 seconds and shut off... all while I
was running the blow gun almost constantly.  Thought that was quite
cool.

Since then I stopped by at the Home Depot again and was looking at the
60 gallon C-H unit again, and noticed it didn't look nearly as
industrial as the DeVilbiss unit.  It looks like it's made of far
lighter materials, which made me happy I went with the DeVilbiss.  I
highly recommend the DeVilbiss over the C-H (and anything else I could
find) and think you'd be very happy with it for the price.  If you want
to get pricey, HF also carries the Ingersoll-Rand two-stage compressors,
but they start at $1000.

cmh
--
Chris Heerschap, UNIX Systems Mutilator/Postmaster
     mailto:heerschap@eng.kns.com